Saturday, February 7, 2009

Opus Nocturne´s Interview [ Monterrey-Mexico]

Interview by: Lord Baalberith
1.-Hails Nybaldak!! When Opus Nocturne form and who were you influenced by in the beginning? First of all thank you for this chance of interview, and I need to point some things out: Nybaldak could not answer this interview for reasons I already explained to you, but me (Essial) is answering it instead.

We are looking forward to stop using the name Opus Nocturne, but Alpha Hydrae instead, since we have been through many line up changes we decided to change it, because aside of our obscure inspiration, everything else has changed in the band.

Well Opus Nocturne as a band formed in the year of 2005, and we were influenced by black and death metal in general, bands that we all liked, our own demons, as well as some ideological ideas that we shared together.

2.-What is your current line-up?
Essial: Guitar & Vocals
Nybaldak: Drums
Daemonethia: Guitar
Hector calvo: bass guitar

3.-Which bands are your main influence and why did choose to play black metal? Marduk, (old) Rotting Christ, (old) Samael, (old) Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, Silencer, Emperor, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Sepultura, Dissection, Gorgoroth, Necrovore, Hypocrisy, Forgotten Tomb, Deathspell Omega, Dark Funeral, Visceral Evisceration, Avulsed, Suffocation, and a list that will never end hehe but those are the ones that come to my mind right now that have influenced us.

The decision of playing black metal was something that came through very naturally, since we were all involved in the genre, we went to gigs and shit, and we just wanted to blaspheme and play insane music with no fucking boundaries or stupid cliches.

4.-Is Opus Nocturne connected with Satanism in any way? We are in some way connected with it, since it is an ideology that some members of the band live according with. We used to deal with that in our lyrics in the past, but now we evolved into a journey through the deepest and darkest abyss of human mind and its emotions within our lyrics, instead of the so cliched and common satanic lyrics (we still deal with it in some songs but in a more complex or subjective way).

I agree in a lot of points with the satanic ideology, let's say, Church of Satan, but organized religions are the opium of the masses, and I don't consider myself nor my band part of the masses so...Satanism is still present in the band because that is something we live with, but I don't consider my band as a satanist one.
5.-How many time have you played out, do you get a good response? We have been active for three and a half years now, and yeah we've had a good response so far...some people don't like our band but that's fine with me, I am doing this mainly for myself, but if others like it then it's cool.

6.-Do you think that the line-up changes contributed to the progression of the band? For sure they did. This is something that has to happen we had a solid line up for a long time, but things have to change sometimes, but always for good. At least in our case, we have evolved a lot as musicians because of the line up changes we have had, it always helps you to expand your sound.

7.-Have you opened for bigger know bands at shows, who and which ones were your fave to play with? We have shared stage with Marduk, Mystic Circle, Avulsed, and Dark Funeral. I guess my favorite was with Dark Funeral, because they were very cool guys with us, didn't played rockstar and shit, and that man, is something that tells you much about a band specially if they play black metal. Avulsed I also enjoyed it very much, because they have always been one of my favorite bands and I never thought they were going to play in my city haha.

8.-How many demos and rehearsals have you recorded? We have recorded two demo / rehearsals, 4 songs each.

9.-How would you describe the actual black / death scene in your city and what do you think about the new black metal bands? We have a lot of bands coming in and out, but most of them last for a couple months and then jump into another trend, few years ago there were a lot of black metal bands around, and now they are gone, but instead we have a lot of grind gore bands. I think people don't take it too serious.

I think our metal scene lacks of honesty in our bands, but I don't really care too much about it, because we still have some good bands in our city. I have nothing against new black metal bands (I consider mine one of them) as far as they do music because they are motivated by their own black essence, and not for calling everyone's attention by wearing corpse paint and spikes.

10.-There are enough places in your city to play black metal? Not that many but there are always promotors compromised with the scene, Hail Them!!!

11.-What is your biggest dream as a musician? I have no dreams about it to be honest.

12.-Are you interested in terror, horror ,gore novels? Some fave authors? Yeah, actually Nybaldak is into Marquis di Sade's works, so are we. Daemonethia and me are also very inspired by Lovecraft, Old poetry such as John Milton and Dante Alighieri I also enjoy... We are also into horror and gore movies.

13.-What do you hope to express with your band musically and lyrically to all the people? I summon my own demons with my lyrics and music, and just create an atmosphere, so the ones in the same reality than me can identify themselves with it.

14.-How about your involvement with the true black metal? Well this term "true" in my opinion has lost its real meaning, so I am not really sure what to tell you, for me being true is being honest with your music, growing old and still not regreting of what you have done, keeping the black cult alive! and as far as I breath I will still play this music and bang my head.

15.-How much a week do you rehearse? Once or twice a week ussually.

16.-Are there good true black metal bands in your city? Yeah there are good bands out here, Black Vomit, Hyborim, Osculum, Moonlighting Hell, Saman, Brulefer, Eishet's Funeral, and some more that I don't recall now.

17.-Where did you enjoy playing the most? I think it was in Monclova about one and a half years ago, maybe more, great gig!!!

18.-Is there any band at all you´ve heard recently that you like? I have been listening to Love Lies Bleeding and Neo Inferno 262 lately, cool bands, experimental as fuck but really good, Angel corpse also.

19.-How would describe the lyrics you write? They are mainly black dreams I have, memories, visions or things that go through my mind, books I read...I would describe it as the dark aspects of human mind.

20.-What is the best CD you´ve heard in the last months? An Angel Corpse demo: Goats to Azazael.

21.-Is it easy for a black metal band to survive in the Mexican underground scene? I think it is easy because one play this music with no compromise, but monetarily is quite hard, but you always find a way.

22.-Do you have web page and where they can obtain your stuff? yeah you can check it out at www.myspace.com/opusnocturneband

23.-Have you been working on the new material? Yeah, that's what we are working in right now, so we can enter the studio soon.

24.-Because they have taken so long to record your latest CD? It has taken that much time mainly because of monetary issues, and lack of compromise of some members, but now we are working something out.

25.-Where do you see Opus Nocturne in five years? Still playing, maybe with a couple of records out, old and drunker than ever hahaha.

26.-What would you like to do in the future? Maybe play more places, meet other bands...
27.-Thanks for your answer Nybaldak, any last words to end this interview? You are welcome, thank you for sending this, and keep in touch, we are changing our band name to Alpha Hydrae soon, so keep in touch for more details about the recording and stuff.

For any info related with the band you can write to:

alphahydrae666@gmail.com

And we'll be glad to keep in touch.

Keep the black flame alive!! See u in hell...


No comments:

Post a Comment